The objective of SMERA Maritime Gradings is to express an opinion on the individual courses run by the Maritime Training Institutes and matching the course objectives with the requirements as stipulated by the Directorate General of Shipping (Ministry of Shipping). SMERA’s Maritime Grading proposes to benchmark the applicant training institute with a set of pre-designated desirable best practices within the industry so as to enable the industry to adopt common standards of training.
For Directorate General of Shipping ( DGS)
- Independent and unbiased third party evaluation and opinion
- Effective tool for adoption of best practices within the industry
- Instill common standards and practices within the industry
- Strive to achieve excellence in Maritime Education
- A symbol to demonstrate better quality of institute
- A professional tool for marketing
- Know areas of improvement
- Foster healthy competition
Facilitate better and faster credit flow
SMERA Maritime Grading is assigned on a five point scale i.e. from Grade 1 (indicating high quality) to Grade 5 (indicating poor quality).
SMERA MTI Grading Scale
The quality of education imparted by the graded course at the institute with respect to the course objectives as stated by DGS is outstanding.
The quality of education imparted by the graded course at the institute with respect to the course objectives as stated by DGS is very good.
The quality of education imparted by the graded course at the institute with respect to the course objectives as stated by DGS is good.
The quality of education imparted by the graded course at the institute with respect to the course objectives as stated by DGS is satisfactory.
The quality of education imparted by the graded course at the institute with respect to the course objectives as stated by DGS is poor
The grading is based on an evaluation of six main parameters. They are as under:
- Management evaluation
- Process quality
- Financial analysis
- Overall effectiveness
Each of these parameters would be evaluated on a 5 point scale, comprising of: favorable, above average, average, below average and unfavorable.
Process adopted & documents required for MTI grading process are as under:
- Copy of audited annual reports/ financial results for latest 3 years.
- Brief Profile of key faculty (permanent and temporary) - role, expertise, qualification, experience (teaching / sailing), other business interests, key achievements, and whether TOTA/TOTI certified.
- Course details average fees charged per student, total revenues per course per annum, and total cost per course per annum.
- Latest copy of detailed course content for the marine engineering course.
- Latest DGS Inspection report
- Introduction of new members, if any, in management Committees/Board/Academic committees (brief write up including qualification, experience, and achievements)
- Eligibility criteria for faculty recruitment.
- Details of members resigned from the management, if any
- Training programs for faculty.
- Faculty attrition rate for the past four years
- New courses introduced / to be introduced
- Cumulative number of students graduated till date
- Capital/Core expenditure during the last 3 years and for the next 2 years on upgrading equipment, infrastructure, building, and library.
- Brief write up on additional inputs provided beyond the course content as defined by DGS to student for improving overall effectiveness communication skills, and physical training.
- Details on infrastructure/facilities (equipment’s used, purpose/utility of the equipment, course name, and cost of equipment)
- Systems and procedures (ISO certification, MIS reports, and Measures for feedback / performance tracking of faculty, students and effectiveness of overall program, along with action taken on observations)
- Selection / examination / placement details
- Grants received from the government during the year.
- Brief write up on association with international bodies and other accreditation organisations.
- Linkages or alliances with shipping companies and other training colleges.
For more information please contact:
National Sales Manager - Special Products
SME Rating Agency of India Ltd
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph. - 022 2518 8108